Local church membership is simply “committed love.” Membership consists of fulfilling certain responsibilities and enjoying certain benefits. It is committed love. Mark Dever writes, “Church membership is our opportunity to grasp hold of each other in responsibility and love. By identifying ourselves with a particular church, we let the pastors and other members know that we intend to be committed in attendance, giving, prayer, and service. We allow fellow believers to have greater expectations of us in these areas, and we make it known that we are the responsibility of the local church. We assure the church of our commitment to Christ in serving with them, and we call for their commitment to serve and encourage us as well” (Mark Dever, Nine Marks of a Healthy Church, 168).
Benefits of Church Membership:
- Identifies a person as a genuine believer
- Provides a spiritual family for support and encouragement in their walk with Christ
- Provides a place to discover and use gifts
- Places believers under the spiritual protection of godly leaders
- Provides the accountability we need to grow
- Helps the leaders know who we are accountable for (Heb 13:17)